PTSD | Coping With Your Triggers

Monday, 10 April 2017

PTSD | Coping With Your Triggers

My readers who have been here since the beginning will already know but those of you who have only recently found me, my names Emma and I suffer with Anxiety / Depression / PTSD and it's a struggle, and today I wanted to talk about what happened at the weekend and how it effected me. 


Post-traumatic stress disorder is an anxiety disorder. It can develop when people are severely harmed, or experience something extremely upsetting.
PTSD is different from traumatic stress, which is less intense and shorter, and combat stress reaction, which happens to soldiers in wartime situations and usually goes away. PTSD has been recognized in the past by different names, like shell shock, traumatic war neurosis, or post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSS).

So, at the weekend I was driving along and all of a sudden heard a bang, the type of bang when you have a car accident and the air bags deploy and the cars impact on one another. The noise instantly took me back to a car accident I experienced when I was 12 and it overtook me, the wave of emotion I experience was unlike anything I've previously experienced with PTSD and I was mentally taken back to the car accident. So I wanted to talk about what to do when this happens to you and how you can help someone who's experiencing a flash back. 


The symptoms of PTSD can vary from person to person, although you may experience some of the following.
Reliving aspects of the trauma:
  • vivid flashbacks (feeling that the trauma is happening all over again)
  • intrusive thoughts and images
  • nightmares
  • intense distress at real or symbolic reminders of the trauma
  • physical sensations, such as pain, sweating, nausea or trembling.
Top Tips: 
  • Talk to someone close to you 
  • Talk through the emotion your feeling 
  • Drink something sugary 
  • Close your eyes and take long, slow, deep breathes
  • Talk to people with similar experiences 
  • Give yourself time to come to terms with the experience

Emma x

  

@Realist_Review 

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment