What My First Yoga Lesson Taught Me

Monday, 21 November 2016

What My First Yoga Lesson Taught Me 

Definition; "Yoga is an ancient form of exercise that focuses on strength, flexibility and breathing to boost physical and mental wellbeing. The main components of yoga are postures (a series of movements designed to increase strength and flexibility) and breathing."

Well, it's definitely not Pilates I can tell you that much. It's more physically challenging and vocally confusing than Pilates but in a cool way, the words used in Yoga for the poses make you feel so much more sophisticated and like a proper yogi. 


My first Yoga class was at my local gym and was with a whole bunch of people I'd never seen or met before, fab idea for someone with anxiety to do but I did it and I overcame it. The class begun with 5 minutes of deep breathing and centring, which for someone who's lying there having an anxiety attack was very needed, it then flowed into the moves and poses we did this for a good 50 minutes or so, and went back into a lying down position to recenter to end. The ending for me was the best bit, not because i could then go and continue to die in the sauna for 20 minutes but because as we all lay there exhausted from our session, the instructor asked us all to think about what we're thankful for and it was incredibly refreshing. 


Lying there at the beginning and end of the class focusing on yourself and controlling your body made me feel oddly empowered, I felt like I could do anything in the class and it even made me feel confident enough to try and do the really hard poses - failing miserably of course. It's also definitely one of those classes you need the 'right' teacher for, you need a teacher who's empowering, confident and passionate about it, you need a teacher who's energy is going to flow with your own and really inspire you to push yourself during the class.


Yoga will definitely not be for everyone, it's not everyones cup of tea but neither is green tea and yet here I am but if you go to a class and go open minded, I think you'll be surprised at what you'll find out about yourself, your mindset and your bodies capabilities. I go to a class at my local gym and it's not as scary as I first thought, so go on give it a go. 


Have you tried yoga before? What did it teach you? 

Emma x

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment