Healthy Lifestyle – Are You Staying on Track?

Saturday, 13 February 2016

Healthy Lifestyle – Are You Staying on Track?


We’re officially in February, which means were already 2 months into 2016 … WHERE IS THE YEAR GOING?! Please can someone make it slow down just a tad!! Since the New Year the gyms have got quieter, the health food store ques are becoming smaller and your local supermarket isn’t running out of fruit and veg so fast, which means some of us, (most of us) have started to give up on our healthy lifestyle!




I think a healthy lifestyle should be a lifetime thing, not just for summer or for your resolutions but for your life, your given one body – look after it. So, by now I bet your all working on your summer bikini bodies (I know I am!) This year we’re taking my partners’ 7 year old sister with us so I need to be super fit, for all the running around after her!! But I’m also trying to maintain my physique and continuously improve it, for myself and my own body’s health.


I’m trying to maintain a healthy active lifestyle by attending the gym 3-4 times a week incorporating 15-20 minutes of cardio each visit and either weight training and/or balance/training, to help strengthen my body, plus an hour session of Pilates each week. On the days that I don’t train at the gym or attend Pilates I cycle, not outdoors on a 15 mile route (I’m not brave enough) but simply indoors. I have this tiny contraption from Amazon that holds the back of your bike in place but allows you to cycle without any electricity!! So let’s run through my top personal tips to maintain a healthy lifestyle;


 


GET SOME VITAMIN D

Natural sunlight is a great way to boost your body's vitamin D levels. Vitamin D helps ensure that bones are formed properly and can also help ward off depression. Try to soak up 15-20 minutes of sunlight daily to help boost it! This could be a 15-20 minute walk in the sun, simply sitting in it, or even just doing some gardening or washing the car!




GREEN IS GOOD

Make green, leafy vegetables a staple in your diet. Three leafy greens that you can't get enough of are kale, spinach, and broccoli. They're loaded with antioxidants, fiber and the vitamins K, C, and A. (Kale contain more iron than beef) These power veggies will do wonders for your body and really help to boost your immune system too!



LEARN YOUR BODY

There’s a golden rule to learn about a healthy lifestyle, nothing is set in stone. What might work for one person could be awful for another, so learn your body and adjust it from there. You might discover having a heavy fruit diet opposed to a heavy vegetable diet isn’t working for your body type, but it’s working for your friend. Adaptation is progress!


DARK CHOCOLATE IS GOOD

No, I am not saying go buy a colossal bar and eat the whole thing (although it is tempting) but dark chocolate that is at least 60%-70% cocoa has high flavonoid concentrations, which is good for your body and can curb sugar cravings! When I want to eat a whole Kit Kat chunky I simply have 1-2 pieces of good quality dark chocolate and I’m happy.




WATER WATER WATER

I ramble on enough about water and it’s benefits, so just make sure you drink more of it! Your brain is 80% water so just think about how much you’re dehydrating it by not drinking enough!! Water is also great at flushing out all the nastiness in your body, so you’re basically going to get a continuous detox for free! If you really want to go a bit further add some Lemon, they have remarkable antioxidants.





STAY ACTIVE

Obvious one but by staying active I do mean, move yo’body! Make sure you do at least 20 minutes of physical activity whether that’s going for a walk or jog, taking the kids to the park, playing with the dog, or doing some HIIT training do something to get your heart rate up, this daily physical movement will honestly benefit your lungs/heart in the long run.



TAKE ME TIME

We all are guilty of not taking enough time out for ourselves and being selfish to our bodies, so taking some time out whether that is 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or even an hour, just sit back relax and think about you. You could spend this time this time doing some yoga, sipping a cup of tea, sitting back and just closing your eyes. Or, alternatively,  I like to take my ‘me’ time in the sauna after a workout at the gym, it helps to relax my body, aid the workout recovery and it gives me 15 minutes 3-4 times a week where I can just think about how I want to improve my workouts and thinking positive.



 Emma x


What are your top workout tips? How do you stay on track?

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment