Protein Powder - My First Experience

Friday, 14 August 2015

Protein Powder - My First Experience
 
I attend the gym regularly (3 X 1 hour sessions a week) and usually do 10-20 minutes of Cardiovascular work, and then the rest of my time I use to complete floor work with weights to increase my bone density and muscle strength, and to keep toned. I found that I was seeing the results I wanted because I am committed and didn’t set myself unreasonable goals, so as time went on I researched into protein powders and the stigma around them. I know what your all thinking ‘Protein powders are for men, there for body builders’ and yes, yes they are but they can also be used to aid muscle recovery and development.

 “Protein is the only macro nutrient needed by the body for the growth and development of muscle fibres and tissues, also known as the building blocks of muscle. Protein plays a large role and is responsible for various biochemical processes that occur in the body. When metabolised, this essential macro nutrient provides a series of unique functions, including being a vital fuel source and contributing to the growth and maintenance of lean muscle mass and the maintenance of bones.”


Background

I’ve never been ‘large’ I mean I’ve been not as slim as I could be in the past going through secondary school (roughly a size 12) but I’ve never seen myself as ‘fat’. I hate the word ‘fat’ used to describe someone’s weight, I think it’s demoralizing and unneeded, I always prefer to say ‘large’ or ‘a bigger size’ or ‘plumper than they could be’, just anything but ‘fat’. I’m 5ft 6/7inches and weigh around 10Stone 9Pounds, according to my BMI (Body Mass Index) I am 24 which is ‘In the ideal weight range for your height’, according to doctors an ideal weight range for my height is around 8– 11Stone .
I have weighed less than this in the past when I didn’t educate myself on the gym and exercise/weight loss and managed to drop down to around about 8Stone in a few months, and trust me it doesn’t look good. I managed to scare myself skinny. Many people will have no idea what I mean by that but I basically lost that much weight that fast and didn’t realise, until one day I looked at my progress in the mirror and just thought ‘S**t you actually look ill, what have you done to yourself’ So I quit the gym straight away and focused on getting myself back to a what I felt was a healthy weight, once I got there I then started to research and educate myself on exercise and nutrition.  

I’ve always enjoyed fruit and veg and I now try to eat at least one type of fruit/vegetable with every other meal (I have 6 smaller meals a day so at the minimum my 2nd, 4th and 6th meal include a fruit/vegetable) I suffer from Iron Deficiency Anaemia, (I don’t get enough iron) so I’m very tired all the time and get exhausted very easily. I’ve found though through changing my diet to include more green foods and drinking mainly water every day, I have reduced my fatigue, cleared my skin up (it’s a lot better than it was) and I just feel better inside for it. I also think my performance at the gym has improved with my improvement in diet.

The Powder
I have been using the Maxi Nutrition Promax Recover &Rebuild in the flavour Chocolate, now tones of people have asked me about the taste…it doesn’t taste that different to normal chocolate milkshake! Personally, I think it tastes like a chocolate milkshake made with Soy/Almond milk but way healthier for you because it’s with water. I have been having the recommend amount, as per the guidelines provided on my protein powder tub – you will find most brands will provide guidelines with the appropriate amounts. Mine suggested having 2 shakes on days I train so one either mid-morning or mid-afternoon and the other right after I finished training, and on days I didn’t train just the one either mid-morning or mid-afternoon. I personally found this relatively easy to fit into my day as I have 6 smaller meals throughout the day appose to 3 big meals. The brand will recommend you to use their own brand protein shaker bottle, naturally, but I found this one off Ebay which is a replica of the SmartShake Bottle for £3.99 opposed to £8.99 on the high street.


Experience 
I have personally found that after one month of consistent use I feel like I can see results, I can see more definition than I could before, I feel fuller for longer and feel like my sweet cravings have been toned down massively. I feel really really happy with myself and my body, I believe I have got my body confidence back. If you follow me on Instagram (@realist_review) then you will have seen that I recently wore a striped midi dress from H&M, this for me was a milestone as I never wear dresses because I've never felt confident in them but now I feel like I am finding myself through fitness and what I perceive to be my happy body. As part of a healthy balanced lifestyle anybody can reach the goals they set themselves, the only thing that keeps me going on my fitness journey is a positive mind set and with the help of the protein powders I will be looking into fitness aided recovery supplements more.
 

Results
PLEASE NOTE -  The photos below are of my progress so far, I believe that I am healtheir, better and a fitter person, I personally am more body confident and although many people may look at these photos and think that no progress has been made, to me, this is HUGE progress. The photos below are also not editied post production.
Strive for progression, not perfection.
I have included below 4 sets of photos (focusing on my adominal area as this is my 'problem' area, and a photo of my arms now, as they where literally twigs before)  – The first is before I started back at the gym after a year or so out, the second is my progress without any protein powders, the third is half way through, and the forth is a consistent month of protein powder.
Starting back at the gym - Day 1
Starting back at the gym - Day 1

Without any Protein Powders

Without any Protein Powders

Couple of weeks of Protein Powder use

Couple of weeks of Protein Powder use

Using Protein Powders to date
Using Protein Powders to date
The photo grid photo (yes it was done on my phone so I appologise for the lack of quality) below shows you my transition, the top row is me now - happy with my results so far but there is always room room for progress, the second row down, first 2 photos in the black leggings, is my mid point body - not majourly impressed but pleased with my progress, the next 2 photos, third one across second row and first photo on last row, are my couple of weeks body - amazed at how protein affects your body's shape, and the last 2, bottom row, are my first started body - I wouldn't say i was 'overweight' just simply that my post quiting gym fat over stayed it's welcome and I lost my muscle definition.
 
My goal for the year and for life, is to get my body confidence back so to do this I am getting back my body to where I was happy with it before and from there I intend to maintain it. Christmas, New Year, Next Summer .... BRING IT ON.
 
Emma x
I am not a medical professional. All of the above techniques are based on my own personal opinions and experiences. If you feel like you are struggling with weight loss or would like to try out Protein Powders please consult your GP first.
I have not been sponsored to mention any of the above products, all opinions on these products are based on my own experiences.

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment